The priorities of this OWIMS subcommittee are to support faculty, house staff, and students who are parenting while working in medicine and science. Current initiatives include:
- Collaborating across institutions to support new parents with lactation and breastfeeding
- Demystifying parental leave policies for students, house staff, and faculty
- Sponsoring a lecture series featuring parenting topics including:
• Applying for residency while pregnant or planning to have children
• Sub-specialty specific advice for pregnancy and parenting
• Thriving in medical school as a parent
• Experiences with Adoption
• Addressing Infertility Issues
• Balancing parenting young children with the demands of an early-career faculty position
• Practical aspects of being a new mom or dad
Current subcommittee members are: Drs. Allison Brindle, Martha Kole, Katie Sharkey, Robyn Wing, and Iris Tong.
Family Friendly at Brown
Competing demands can make achieving a balanced professional and personal life challenging at every career stage. The University has established a number of policies and programs designed to help faculty members create a better work-life balance. For an overview and more details, please visit the links below.